Archive for the 'Community' Category

Are you (Really) Ready to Lead this Meeting?

Written on April 2, 2013 at 7:10 am

I was recently asked to do a training session for facilitators. I have facilitated many meetings  over the years, of many types of groups, but never received any formal training to do so.  As a relatively young executive director, it was assumed that it was something I could do, and I was just expected to facilitate staff and volunteer meetings.  I am sure I made my share of ‘mistakes’ and had a few moments of thinking ‘what do I do now??’ but over the years of working with different groups I gained more experience and more confidence.  The request to …

READ MORE

The Boundary of Age

Written on February 20, 2013 at 8:14 am

This is a guest post by Kate Otto of  Everyday Ambassador.  My guest post on the same theme can be found on EA’s site here.

My name is Kate Otto, and I manage a website called “Everyday Ambassador”, where we discuss the dynamics of crossing boundaries of geography, culture, and socio-economic status in our efforts to make the world a better place.

When I recently met Bonnie, and we bonded over how many goals we have in common, I realized a boundary I so rarely cross on my site:

What about the boundary of age?

So often, my generation sets …

READ MORE

Building Bridges

Written on January 8, 2013 at 8:16 am

We seem to be in a period where there is a lot of talk (and indeed a fair amount of action) around ‘the need for change’ and ‘doing things differently’.  Google the phrase ‘changemakers’ and pages appear.  Some people love the term innovation, others say it is becoming overused and perhaps less relevant.

I am particularly interested in initiatives around changing systems – collaborative efforts to think differently together and then put that thinking into practice – transformative not just incremental change.  What are some of the characteristics of these initiatives?

1. Broad based:  Although what they are learning may be
 READ MORE

Blog Action Day: The Power of WE

Written on October 15, 2012 at 8:15 am

The theme of this year’s Blog Action Day is “The Power of WE –  a celebration of people working together to make a positive difference in the world…”  I’ve written a lot over the past few years about collaborative activities that I’ve been involved in.  So for my Blog Action Day blog I thought I would highlight some of these and what makes them so special:

Helping Babies Breathe:  A wide variety of stakeholders who put in countless hours around the world, working though communication, cultural and other challenges of global work, to help bring babies safely in to …

READ MORE

Building an International Framework – What does it take?

Written on October 2, 2012 at 8:16 am

Last week I facilitated a roundtable discussing observations and ‘lessons learned’ from the creation and growth of an international organization I helped steer.  I wrote about the creation of the OIA  in 2004. The organization is now almost a decade old and with the rotation off of the Board of most of the founding members, it was a good time to reflect back on some of what had been learned. We started off with some brief prepared comments from two founding Board members who were about to leave the Board, and with their responses to some questions I asked them …

READ MORE