Archive for the 'Community' Category

A new home

Written on February 3, 2012 at 11:19 am

If you frequent this blog you may notice a new look – I’ve now integrated it with my newly redesigned website.  I would like it to be easier for those involved in international engagement anywhere along the spectrum  to find resources that will help them with their work.  I’d like to invite you to take a few minutes to visit the new site and especially the resource center.  I will update it on a regular basis so I hope you might bookmark it and visit it periodically.  And please if you find a new resource that you feel would be …

READ MORE

Navigating Global Change

Written on January 19, 2012 at 1:58 pm

What skills, methods and tools will we need to navigate the choppy waters we are in and bring about transformative social change?

I have just spent 3 days in discussion with 22 people from 7 countries in a “we_b” laboratory held in Brussels under the umbrella of a new collaborative group we are calling Collective Impact x Innovation Institute (Ci2i).  Some of the concepts that we explored in this initial “we_x” lab included:

1.  Thrivability – Using a whole systems approach, we evolve our way of being together, of collaborating, so that our collective wisdom and action bring forth a …

READ MORE

We are 7 Billion – what’s next?

Written on October 31, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Earlier this year I wrote about ‘awareness raising campaigns‘. Although the 7 Billionth Person mark is not an awareness raising campaign per se, it has many of the same characteristics.  It has been interesting to watch the progression of public attention.  It started a few weeks back when the United Nation Population Fund (UNFP) released its 2011 State of the World’s Population report predicting 7 billion people by 31 October.  Next came a run of ‘fun’ stories such as National Geographic’s “World’s Most Typical person” and online  interactive activities including the BBC’s “What’s your Number?”  Then on “the day” itself …

READ MORE

Reflecting on being a ‘changemaker’

Written on July 5, 2011 at 3:29 pm

At the end of June I had the good fortune to be among a team of facilitators from different countries helping with the Ashoka Changemakers Week in France.  I facilitated sessions on scaling up, attended the plenaries and a workshop on social impact, and had numerous conversations with people doing exciting work from around the world.  Here are some of my reflections:

1. Oh those pesky labels:  I wrote on this prior to the conference  (Impact without Boundaries) and I continue to find differing  views on what makes a NGO leader, a social entrepreneur or otherwise being a ‘social changemaker’,  a
 READ MORE

Increasing International Dialogue and Engagement

Written on June 27, 2011 at 3:13 pm

What does it take to have more effective international dialogue? Incorporate diverse and marginalized voices?  Communication to be effective needs to be two way [See “Words that Communicate“].  Even in one language and homogeneous cultures we are not always successful in having dialogue in which everyone listens and makes an effort to understand, as much as they talk.  In different languages and cultures dialogue becomes an even harder challenge.  With all of our increase in technology and tools  there is sometimes an assumption that we are getting better at communicating, but the existence of tools does not necessarily bring an

READ MORE