Archive for the 'Community' Category

Building Bridges

Written on January 8, 2013 at 8:16 am

We seem to be in a period where there is a lot of talk (and indeed a fair amount of action) around ‘the need for change’ and ‘doing things differently’.  Google the phrase ‘changemakers’ and pages appear.  Some people love the term innovation, others say it is becoming overused and perhaps less relevant.

I am particularly interested in initiatives around changing systems – collaborative efforts to think differently together and then put that thinking into practice – transformative not just incremental change.  What are some of the characteristics of these initiatives?

1. Broad based:  Although what they are learning may be
 READ MORE

Blog Action Day: The Power of WE

Written on October 15, 2012 at 8:15 am

The theme of this year’s Blog Action Day is “The Power of WE –  a celebration of people working together to make a positive difference in the world…”  I’ve written a lot over the past few years about collaborative activities that I’ve been involved in.  So for my Blog Action Day blog I thought I would highlight some of these and what makes them so special:

Helping Babies Breathe:  A wide variety of stakeholders who put in countless hours around the world, working though communication, cultural and other challenges of global work, to help bring babies safely in to …

READ MORE

Building an International Framework – What does it take?

Written on October 2, 2012 at 8:16 am

Last week I facilitated a roundtable discussing observations and ‘lessons learned’ from the creation and growth of an international organization I helped steer.  I wrote about the creation of the OIA  in 2004. The organization is now almost a decade old and with the rotation off of the Board of most of the founding members, it was a good time to reflect back on some of what had been learned. We started off with some brief prepared comments from two founding Board members who were about to leave the Board, and with their responses to some questions I asked them …

READ MORE

CIVICUS Assembly 2012

Written on September 7, 2012 at 7:20 am

I have again returned to the CIVICUS World Assembly this year after having last attended in 2010.  Here is my blog post from that session.  Many of the themes this year are similar, with what seems like a greater sense of urgency that we need to do things differently.  Some of the major themes that have been discussed:

• The global challenges we face call for dramatic change in the way civil society operates. We can’t just keep working in the same way we have in the past, feeling good about just getting incrementally better.  Kumi Naidoo, former executive director of
 READ MORE

Co-creating a new type of organization

Written on July 3, 2012 at 7:52 am

How we conceive of organizations is changing.  What we have come to know as NGOs, nonprofits, charities and civil society organizations are being re-envisioned  as concepts like social enterprise have challenged the traditional silos and new hybrid structures are being created.

For the past year I’ve been working with a group we are calling Ci2iGlobal.  We are using CI2iGlobal as a laboratory for many things including experimenting with developing it as a ‘new organization’.  Here are some of the structural and operational concepts we’ve been exploring with that I believe will be increasingly important to all organizations to at least …

READ MORE