Archive for the 'Community' Category

CIVICUS Assembly 2012

Written on September 7, 2012 at 7:20 am

I have again returned to the CIVICUS World Assembly this year after having last attended in 2010.  Here is my blog post from that session.  Many of the themes this year are similar, with what seems like a greater sense of urgency that we need to do things differently.  Some of the major themes that have been discussed:

• The global challenges we face call for dramatic change in the way civil society operates. We can’t just keep working in the same way we have in the past, feeling good about just getting incrementally better.  Kumi Naidoo, former executive director of
 READ MORE

Co-creating a new type of organization

Written on July 3, 2012 at 7:52 am

How we conceive of organizations is changing.  What we have come to know as NGOs, nonprofits, charities and civil society organizations are being re-envisioned  as concepts like social enterprise have challenged the traditional silos and new hybrid structures are being created.

For the past year I’ve been working with a group we are calling Ci2iGlobal.  We are using CI2iGlobal as a laboratory for many things including experimenting with developing it as a ‘new organization’.  Here are some of the structural and operational concepts we’ve been exploring with that I believe will be increasingly important to all organizations to at least …

READ MORE

Pooling Our Experiences

Written on May 9, 2012 at 8:50 pm

“Over 100 years of experience in facilitating social change in a global context”.  That’s how many years we got when we quickly estimated our combined work.  How to assess what matters and what works, how to collaborate, how to work internationally, all areas in which we have explored, experimented and in many cases have had some ‘successes’ individually or with different partners.  We came together about a year ago to explore and experiment with new ideas that might help to equip today’s changemakers to tackle the challenging new questions that face us.  Perhaps just one small piece of the puzzle, …

READ MORE

Turning Challenges to Opportunities

Written on April 26, 2012 at 9:03 am

With the closing of the Global Health Council (GHC) reactions have included shock/surprise and sadness.  As it evolved over its almost 40 years, it became an important convener for the global health community. The GHC announcement includes the following text: “Funding that once existed to promote a broad-based health agenda is now focused on specific health issues. The fundamental shifts in the health landscape have led the Board to revisit the relevance of the organization and determine that the Council’s current operating model is no longer sustainable.”  The reasons given most likely only hint at the full picture.  There has …

READ MORE

Videoconferencing Options for Multinational Working Groups

Written on March 28, 2012 at 10:12 am

Perhaps like many of you, I work with a number of multinational Boards and other working groups.  Historically they have either met in person, or via conference call.  Recently I did some research on the state of videoconferencing, hoping to find some platforms that could bridge the divide between meeting in person, and meeting by phone.  I am looking for virtual platforms that are more reliable than skype. The groups I work with usually work hard to find times they can all talk and do not have time to waste with multiple technical glitches. The options also need to be …

READ MORE