Archive for the 'Community' Category

Tools and methods for co-creation in workshops

Written on October 21, 2014 at 4:54 pm

This post is cross-posted from DIYToolkit where it appeared as a guest post.

Earlier this year I worked with Ci2iGlobal, a global group of social entrepreneurs and NGO practitioners, to organise a Learn and Share Lab focusing on lessons learned around co-creation. The event itself modelled a co-creative approach, and featured 14 case studies of co-creative initiatives that were discussed both in facilitated and open space. As a global group spanning numerous time zones and languages, and looking to maximize input from attendees, having a focus on accessible and practical tools was an important element for us.

A variety of

READ MORE

Making Connections

Written on September 5, 2014 at 8:25 am

This week three of the different networks I am part of held symposium/workshops/conferences and a common theme was noticeable in my Twitter stream – the importance of identifying good ideas (wherever they may come from), and making connections. Some of the comments included:

•  Can your #BigIdeas promote new and exciting partnerships? Judith Rodin @RockefellerFdn President at  SOCAP14
  • Amanda Makulec @abmakulec: Love quality improvement work: emphasis on how solutions already exist, you just have to find them & connect people to diffuse #ISymposium

This raised for me the question of “What virtual tools are we providing to help make these connections?” …

READ MORE

Inspirational People and Inspirational Teams

Written on July 10, 2014 at 12:00 am

I wrote a blog post a few years ago on what I believe makes an inspirational person. Groups of people working together in concert can also make inspirational teams. A group I recently worked with- Let’s Recycle India – is working to be one of these groups. What is making their efforts inspirational?

1)      Holistic, values oriented thinking: They are in waste management but they think beyond their particular business and field to the impacts on the environment and people.

2)      Belief in team concept by all managers and ‘walking the talk’: To be an effective and indeed inspirational …

READ MORE

Learn Share Lab on Co-Creation

Written on February 20, 2014 at 12:23 am

A small but diverse group from 12 countries and many fields of practice came together recently to explore the concept of co-creation at the Learn Share Lab.  The event modeled a co-creative approach itself, featuring 14 case studies of co-creative initiatives, discussed both in facilitated and open space sessions, which were guided by a number of the workshop’s participants.

In two days of animated large and small group discussions, some themes about co-creation that surfaced included:

Co-creation can be a challenge to define but some core concepts (patterns in organization and methodology) may be identifiable.  Some discussed by the workshop’s …

READ MORE

International engagement: new trends and ‘time honored’ patterns

Written on August 12, 2013 at 8:31 am

In support of a few organizations that are increasing their international engagement, I have been surveying a number of organizations further along the international engagement spectrum  for their experiences.  I started to follow a number of these ‘further along the spectrum’ organizations over a decade ago, and it has been interesting to see some new trends, some accelerated trends, and also to see some patterns that have remained consistent.

New (er)

One area of operating globally that seems to be of increasing interest but not yet well explored is the need to connect offline and online communities so the two …

READ MORE